Often I'll get asked about how you can learn After Effects scripting; what sites, resources, reference materials are great for learning from.
After giving the same set of links every time, I wanted to collect them all in a single place that I'll try to keep up to date.
A few things to note:
- This isn't an exhaustive list– there's a lot of information out there! This is solely a roundup of links that I can personally vouch for and have appreciated. Have more to add? Reach out!
Looking for After Effects expressions resources? Check out this post!
- Pro Video Coalition - AE ExtendScript Training Complete Series
- Fairly straightforward, low-level training series to teach foundational tasks.
- While I'm not the biggest fan of the coding style or some of the structure decisions here, as a primer it's pretty good!
- MotionScript - AE Scripting
- Not a lot here, but every step is very elegantly broken down in a tried, trusted Dan Ebberts way. A keystone in After Effects nerdery.
- fxphd: Scripting in AE
- Great, thorough, hand-holding first steps to understanding scripting within AE.
- fxphd: Advanced Scripting for After Effects (Part 1, Part 2)
- Springboarding off the above, these go further and teach things like version control, build systems, using libraries or other dependencies in your tools.
- Great for taking it to the next level!
- Docs for Adobe ExtendScript Reference Guide
- Online, up-to-date, community-driven guide for ExtendScript itself (shared across all host apps).
- Docs for Adobe AE Scripting Guide
- Online, up-to-date, community-driven AE scripting guide.
- ScriptUI for Dummies Guide
- This doc gives a whole lot of useful tips, tricks, and walkthroughs for constructing UIs using ExtendScript's ScriptUI system.
- Jeff Almasol works at Adobe! Creator of a tonne of very helpful, everyday tools. Best part? They're open source! Being able to break down his scripts was a huge help in my own trying to learn how to write scripts.
- Adobe Forums: AE Scripting
- aenhancers Forum
- Old old forum with very infrequent posts, but a lot of pertinent, still-relevant data here.
- Stack Overflow ("extendscript" tag)
- A huge programming help site; this link is focused on posts tagged with ExtendScript.
Wondering how I actually write my scripts? I've written about how I use Visual Studio Code, as well as some tricks on how I (used to) use the official Extendscript Debugger Toolkit.