Often I'll get asked about how you can learn AE scripting; what sites, resources, reference materials exist out there?
After giving the same set of links every time, I wanted to collect them all in a single place that I'll try to keep up to date.
A few things to note:
- This isn't an exhaustive list! I try to cover a variety of topics and resources; if you have others you'd like to see added (or removed), let me know!
Looking for expressions resources? Check out this post!
- Pro Video Coalition - AE ExtendScript Training Complete Series
- Fairly straightforward, low-level training series to teach foundational tasks.
- While I'm not the biggest fan of the coding style or some of the structure decisions here, as a primer it's pretty good!
- MotionScript - AE Scripting
- Not a lot here, but every step is very elegantly broken down in a tried, trusted Dan Ebberts way.
- fxphd: Scripting in AE
- Great, thorough, hand-holding first steps to understanding scripting within AE.
- fxphd: Advanced Scripting for AE (Part 1, Part 2)
- Springboarding off the above, these go further and teach things like version control, build systems, using libraries or other dependencies in your tools.
- Great for taking it to the next level!
- Docs for Adobe ExtendScript Reference Guide
- Online, up-to-date, community-driven guide for ExtendScript itself (shared across all host apps).
- Docs for Adobe AE Scripting Guide
- Online, up-to-date, community-driven AE scripting guide.
- ScriptUI for Dummies Guide
- This doc gives a whole lot of useful tips, tricks, and walkthroughs for constructing UIs using ExtendScript's ScriptUI system.
- Jeff Almasol works at Adobe! Creator of a tonne of very helpful, everyday tools. Best part? They're open source! Being able to break down his scripts was a huge help in my own trying to learn how to write scripts.